Monday, June 12, 2006

Honeymoon in the Windy City

Dave was busy studying all weekend, so I decided to take a honeymoon to Chicago...the Honeymoon Cami, that is (bad, bad wordplay there). I cast on for this on the South Shore train, but now I'm a little bit worried about the size. I had the perfect gauge with #5's, but then I decided I wanted a slightly tighter knit and so I moved down to #3's and went up 2 sizes on the pattern -- and now I don't think those two figures are meant to be exactly correlative. But I didn't have a shorter set of #3's to do a swatch with, and I was just too anxious to start. So now I have to put this on some scrap yarn and try it on. I really hate taking things with 200+ stitches off of and putting them back onto the needles...but anyway, if it's too small/big, then I'll just consider it a very large gauge swatch and start over again. I really like the yarn, it's 100% cotton from The Spinner's Hill Shop -- I bought it at MD S&W last month.

Besides knitting, I spent a lot of time at street fests in Chicago with Becca, Ryan & Eoin. His favorite word is BALL!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Ooh, I have always liked that Honeymoon Cami! Good choice.
One way to get a knitting-in-the-round swatch on longer needles is to cast on your swatch # of sts, and then at the end of the row, wrap the yarn very loosely around the back to the beginning again, and push the whole thing to the other end. Just like i-cord, but not tight. That way you get your all-knit, no-purl gauge. :) Hope that makes sense.

MUD said...

Totally makes sense and I wish I knew that Saturday! Thanks my friend!

Heather said...

Can't wait to see the cami finished! Good luck with the adjusting.