Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Take from me...my lace...

I'm doing the Branching Out scarf from Knitty. I've frogged it a few times, and then finally realized that if I keep on starting over after every little (noticeable) mistake, I'll never finish. It's not a hard pattern, you just have to pay attention to it, and what with American Idol, the Olympics and the SnB girls serving as pleasant distractions, it's just kind of hard to give the scarf the type of attention it deserves. It does look pretty nice though, and I'm finally seeing what people mean when they say something "will really look great after blocking." This is going to be a gift -- as you can probably tell, the pink isn't really my color! But I think the recipient will like it, and I'm using a really nice merino/nylon blend that I bought from Suss.

As I was fondling the buttery soft Baby Twist alpaca at The Point tonight, my stitching sisters kept telling me that I'd better buy all that nice sweet yarn now, because who knows what type of fibers they'll have in Indiana. Then Jessica chimed in with the scariest thought of all..."What if they only sell novelty yarn there???" I shudder to think! Personally, I have visions of rural mid-western farms dotting the flatlands of Indiana, populated by all manner of fibrous animals, all eager to shed their yummy locally grown fleece for the opportunity to be manipulated into something wonderful by my vegetarian-operated needles...or something like that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I llike your llama!

Renee said...

Make me a scarf! Make me a scarf!

city girl said...

what the heck?! the midwest really isn't all that bad!!!

from your chicagoan/cleveland born stitching friend...i just gotta represent :)

Katy said...

There will be plenty of novelty yarn in Indiana, but you can find the good stuff there, too. However, the "craft store" yarn will be much cheaper than Manhattan prices. I'm just saying.

MUDNYC said...

Actually, I agree -- the midwest really is not all that bad. It's just not NYC...but no where is. Sigh...at least we have a good football this year! Go Irish! And Jewel, Chicago really does ROCK!!! I'm excited to be near it.

Passionknitly said...

We're all spoiled rotten...

and I want a llama. Where did you get the llama!? Or is it an alpaca? I couldn't tell because it's head was cutoff at the time.